Nginx health checks

Aleksandar Lazic al-nginx at none.at
Wed Jun 11 00:56:35 MSD 2008

Hi Barry,

first of all I like both very much nginx and haproxy ;-)

On Die 10.06.2008 16:16, Barry Abrahamson wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Alexander Staubo wrote:
>
>> HAProxy also offers this kind of periodic health check. You can set
>> it up to request a specific URL by HTTP, and the intervals can be
>> regulated according to whether the server is down, up or in between.
>
> Yeah, in my testing, the performance of HAProxy was less than stellar
> and I couldn't figure out how to get it to spawn multiple process to
> use multiple CPUs.  Also, I would like to avoid adding another layer
> if possible.

If you really use only the reverse proxy feature then I think the
haproxy is the better choice due the follwoing aguments:

1.) http://haproxy.1wt.eu/10g.html

http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.3/doc/haproxy-en.txt search for

2.) 1.5) Increasing the overall processing power
3.) 3.1) Server monitoring
4.) 3.4) Limiting the number of concurrent sessions on each server

Some of this features would be also very nice in nginx ;-)

What I don't know is do you use the fcgi backend or the http backend?

One of the coolest / best feature of nginx is that he deliver the
static content as fast a possible from he disc ;-))

What I don't understand why you don't use this feature, due the fact
that, as far as I understand, you deliver ALL the content thru the
application, also the static one.

As you can see I haven't setuped a blog with wordpress.

Cheers

Aleks