Igor - are you ignoring my emails? :)

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:06:24 MSD 2008

On 6/13/08, Igor Sysoev <is at rambler-co.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:44:41AM -0700, mike wrote:
>
> > I keep asking about mixing auth and fastcgi.
> >
> > I want /admin/ and everything below it protected.
> >
> > However, if user goes to /admin/foo.php directly, it skips that
> > location block and matches the fastcgi location block for *.php.
> >
> > Do you have a recommendation about how to be able to protect an entire
> > /path/* and also at the same time still process the PHP/etc underneath
> > it?
>
> With FastCGI you may use nested location:
>
>   location /admin/ {
>       root ...
>       auth ...
>
>       location ~ \.php$ {
>           fastcgi ...
>       }
>   }
>
> With proxy nested location work only if proxy_pass has no URI part.
>
> > I really wanted your opinion on this...
>
> > Re: Igor - are you ignoring my emails? :)
>
> I have recieved about 600 emails in these 2 weeks vacantion
> and reading and understanding (especially in English) every mail takes
> about half minute. The answer takes much more.

I understand.I really appreciate it. This has just become a high
priority - I am starting to get nginx adopted at work (Fortune 60
company) and if I can't provide full realms of password protection
it's a bit embarrasing. I want to switch from Lighttpd as soon as
possible.

I will try the nested location block for now. I didn't think that
worked reliably enough yet but perhaps that is a more complex type of
nested location need.