Benchmarking Nginx on a prehistoric PIII 500

Denis S. Filimonov den.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 09:03:52 MSK 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 00:59:59 Denis Arh wrote:
> I really think the environment itself is not the issue. It was testet on
> VMWare because it was easier to set-up at the moment. All testing servers
> had the same conditions, and adding the benchmarking tool to the whole mess
> did only create more realistic conditions (there is usually a few other
> services running on the VPS)
>
> Yes, I could do the tests again, removing all disturbing factors (another
> machine for the benchmarking tool, dedicated box for both of them), but
> this would only create a perfect conditions for all of the tested software
> and I'm positive that this would not do anything else than raise the final
> numbers by same factor for all.

I seriously doubt that VMWare (or any other hypervisor) scales performance
down uniformly, its influence is far more complex. And regardless whether
I'll come out right or wrong, a good test must not leave doubts.

> And I think I did a much better job here then most of the developers of the
> testes software (by the number different of servers used, specifying what
> hardware I've used and most finally providing the config files...)

By no means I want to discourage you, I really appreciate what you are doing,
but there's still a long way before you get to the bottom of it. And when you
do it'll be a really useful resource for everyone.

--
Denis.