Weird timeouts, not sure if I've set the right threshholds

Dave Cheney dave at cheney.net
Sat May 3 08:55:02 MSD 2008

I'd like to add that 'having problems' doesn't just mean crashing. It
can be as benign as stalling for 1/4 of a second because of a high IO
backlog that needs to flushed to disk or a poorly configured NIC.
During that 1/4 of a second (an eon on modern cpus) nothing will
happen as the nginx worker process is blocked in kernel.

The suggestion from the wiki is to increase the number of workers if
nginx is heavily IO bound. The traditional pattern is 2 x spindles or
CPU's, whicheven is the larger. You setup is rather unconventional so
you'll have to experiment.

Cheers

Dave