embedded perl ssi weirdness?

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Sun May 25 17:39:15 MSD 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Igor Sysoev <is at rambler-co.ru> wrote:

> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 04:57:18PM +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>
> > hi, folks, I've been trying out the embedded perl feature with 0.6.31,
> and
> > while there were initially some problems with getting it up, I've managed
> > resolve just about everything. I do have some questions, though:
> >
> > 1. I've been trying to get Perl SSI to work "inline" (eg. perl sub='{ my
> $r
> > = shift; $r->print(time); }' ), but so far that hasn't worked out at all.
> > Must the perl sub always be defined elsewhere, in a ".pm" file?
>
> Yes, the code that allows SSI perl inlines are explicitly disabled at
> line 393 in src/http/modules/perl/ngx_http_perl_module.c for perfomance
> reasons. I'm not sure should it be enabled or not.

ah, so that's what that was for then! I had a look through the code, but
couldnt really figure this portion of the code out. Thanks!

> > 2. I notice that changes to the ".pm" files are not dynamic, or
> > "on-the-fly". You have to restart nginx in order for the changes to be
> > reflected. Is this intentional?
>
> Yes, you need to reconfigure nginx (if perl was built with threads or
> multiplicty interpeters support) or to do online uprade (if perl is single
> interpeter). I simply do know how to test all involved files.

Are you saying that I need to reconfigure nginx with a different set of
options, or that the fault is with my perl setup, and that I should upgrade
my perl, and then reconfigure nginx?

'perl -V' gives me
======
  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
                        PERL_MALLOC_WRAP THREADS_HAVE_PIDS USE_64_BIT_ALL
                        USE_64_BIT_INT USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
                        USE_PERLIO USE_REENTRANT_API
========

so I'm assuming here that my perl should be built with threads and
multiplicity already?

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not