embedded perl ssi weirdness?

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Sun May 25 17:18:11 MSD 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 04:57:18PM +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:

> hi, folks, I've been trying out the embedded perl feature with 0.6.31, and
> while there were initially some problems with getting it up, I've managed to
> resolve just about everything. I do have some questions, though:
>
> 1. I've been trying to get Perl SSI to work "inline" (eg. perl sub='{ my $r
> = shift; $r->print(time); }' ), but so far that hasn't worked out at all.
> Must the perl sub always be defined elsewhere, in a ".pm" file?

Yes, the code that allows SSI perl inlines are explicitly disabled at
line 393 in src/http/modules/perl/ngx_http_perl_module.c for perfomance
reasons. I'm not sure should it be enabled or not.

> 2. I notice that changes to the ".pm" files are not dynamic, or
> "on-the-fly". You have to restart nginx in order for the changes to be
> reflected. Is this intentional?

Yes, you need to reconfigure nginx (if perl was built with threads or
multiplicty interpeters support) or to do online uprade (if perl is single
interpeter). I simply do know how to test all involved files.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/