Blank page in Safari with fast refresh

ktwalrus nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Aug 5 20:18:39 MSD 2009

I just made some progress on my Safari refresh problem.

IP.Board has a new feature that "minifies" all served .js and .css files served up for the page.  These files are loaded by a dynamic url that looks like:

http://communities.my.walr.us/public/min/index.php?f=public/js/ipb.js,public/js/ips.quickpm.js,public/js/ips.facebook.js,public/js/ips.signin.js,cache/lang_cache/1/ipb.lang.js

There are actually 3 such URLs loaded for the page I was testing this way (one for CSS and two for JS files).  IP.Board does this so that it can add caching for the JS and CSS files and to "minify" the files.

Apparently, this is confusing either NGINX or Safari.  When I change the IP.Board setting to serve up the files differently (it looks like IP.Board, in this mode, serves up a static JS file that then uses dynamic JS to load the other JS files), all works.

Since I can cache all .js and .css files through NGINX conf, I think I am only missing the "minify" part which I can probably do statically, if I hunt around a bit to try to figure out how to accomplish this.

So, I don't really need this problem fixed since I have a workaround.  But, it would be good to understand why this happens.  I visit other IP.Boards that are using this same code and "minify" (like http://forums.invisionpower.com) but they all use Apache and don't have this Safari problem.  I think there is a good chance that there might be a bug in NGINX here and I would be willing to try to track this down further, but I don't really know how to proceed to figure this out further.

It is strange that the refreshes/loads have to occur within 10 or 15 seconds and the problem only occurs with Safari and not Firefox and not with Apache (I think).

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,4743,4744#msg-4744