Weird 0.8.11.1 connections spike

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Sat Aug 29 19:08:47 MSD 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:33:02AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Igor Sysoev">
>
> > Are any alerts in error_log:
> >
> > grep alert /path/to/log;
>
> Lots of:
>
> 2009/08/29 23:15:52 [alert] 8716#0: open socket #152 left in connection 105

This is probably after reconfiguraiton.

> > What functionality do you use - proxy/fastcgi/memcached/etc ?
>
> proxy and fastcgi, both of which appeared to be working fine. Weirdly, on my
> WordPress hosts I was correctly receiving the page (PHP via fastcgi), but
> not some of the static files, so it would just sit there waiting for ages...
> perhaps keepalive requests were failing?
>
> Static files on other hosts were working (one static html file delivered by
> nginx + a bunch of generated images behind the nginx proxy -- collectd).
>
> Build differences between my 0.8.10 and 0.8.11.1 packages -> added the geoip
> and static_gzip modules.
>
> (For now, I've switched back to 0.8.10, but can do more testing with
> 0.8.11.1 if required.)

There are signinficant changes in 0.8.11, but you case is strange: I'am
testing 0.8.11 on a host with 400r/s with a lot of proxied SSIed
subrequests and static files, and there is no connection leak.

Have you built any third party modules ?

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/