Fast CGI (spawn-fcgi / php-cgi) crashes/dies/hangs

nerdgrind nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Dec 9 00:43:56 MSK 2009

You could use Apache to serve PHP scripts rather than spawn-fcgi/php-cgi. Apache's handling of PHP has been time tested, and performs as well or better than fcgi in my experience on a high traffic Wordpress blog.

We use:

proxy_pass         http://127.0.0.1:8008;

Apache can listen on several ports.

I had a lot of headaches with fcgi, which made me question why I even needed it when I had Apache. On a single server Apache handled PHP and static files for 35 million visitors in a month before we started using Nginx, so using Apache only for PHP on the backend made sense.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,28783,29032#msg-29032