Mail module: auth cram-md5 does not work

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Sat Feb 7 13:36:04 MSK 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:57:37AM +0100, Miguel Beccari wrote:

> Il giorno 06/feb/09, alle ore 13:01, Maxim Dounin ha scritto:
>>> Thanks you very much for this notes. I am still testing nginx...
>>> Where can
>>> I find complete documentation about features?
>> The most complete one available on official site, but it's written
>> mostly in C language.  :)
>> Other possibilities include:
>> (rather minimal)
>> (in russian)
> Thank you very much for your precious informations: cram-md5 mechanism
> is clear.
> But now I have another problem. Logs say:
> 2009/02/07 10:51:19 [error] 23924#0: *73 upstream sent invalid response:
> "551 sorry, your domain is not correct" while reading response from
> upstream, client: server:, login: "my_test",
> upstream:

This error was returned by your backend smtp server.  Check it's
configuration and logs to find out what's caused this error.

> Should I write additional HTTP HEADER informations when using smtp with
> CRAM-MD5 auth?

For smtp - no, you shouldn't, since nginx doesn't try to
authenticate against smtp backends.  For pop3/imap you have to
return plaintext users password back to nginx from your auth

Maxim Dounin