worker_process & blockend IO

Michael Baudino michael.baudino at acrelec.com
Wed Jul 22 21:38:16 MSD 2009

Hello,

I'm using nginx 0.7.59 on a Debian unstable machine to serve huge files
(300+ MB) from 2 different filesystems : one  is local, the other is
nfs-mounted over an ADSL link.

The nfs filesystem is sooooo slow !
To reduce IO latency, I'm using worker_process 16 (single CPU, though).

How does nginx handles workers ?
Does it choose a worker randomly for each connection ?
Or does it connect to the same worker until it has reached its
worker_connections limit then connect to the next worker ?
In that case, should I set a very low worker_connection to force it to
change worker often ? (I tried it but I got a lot of "worker_connections
are not enough while connecting to upstream")

Thanks in advance.