add_header with 40x

Josh Turmel jturmel at
Sun Mar 8 20:55:35 MSK 2009

Does anyone know if there are plans to allow the add_header directive to
work with 40x errors?

Right now on one of our sites we are build an API and I have setup rules in
the NGINX configuration to check the request_method and if it is not one of
the allowed one's then return a 405 HTTP response, the problem is by HTTP
1.1 spec you are required to return an Allow header with the list of allowed
methods when returning a 405.  The obvious problem is add_header in NGINX
currently only supports using add_header on 200, 204, 301, 302 or 304.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you,