spawn-fcgi-1.6.0rc1-r16 prerelease]

Icy -- lists at ruby-forum.com
Sun Mar 8 21:10:12 MSK 2009

As a lighty dev, I feel urged to correct some misinformation presented
in this thread.

mike wrote:
> Seems like spawn-fcgi is designed only for PHP ... fcgiwrap is aiming
> for general purpose too... I would only see a benefit for spawn-fcgi
> if it was useful for other things than PHP now that php-fpm is
> there...

As Cliff Wells already correctly wrote:
spawn-fcgi is not designed only for PHP, it can spawn any FastCGI
application.
You can use it with rails, python, java or whatever.
That's why it is called spawn-fcgi and not spawn-php.

Phillip B Oldham write:
> YMMV, but I had a *lot* of trouble using spawn-fcgi + php. Processes
> would stop responding to requests after a while for no reason. Turns out
> PHP has a hard limit on the number of requests it can take before
> re-spawning a child and spawn-fcgi didn't honor that limit, passing
> requests to quitting children.

Requests do NOT go through spawn-fcgi. It is only used to set up the
FastCGI environment (file descriptors for example) and hand over control
to the application.
Therefor it is impossible that spawn-fcgi is to blame for PHP not
getting requests.
PHP can spawn multiple worker children which (to prevent leaks) are
restarted after a certain, configurable, number of requests. That is
true. But it is the PHP master process that hands the requests over to
the children and it of course handles the restarts.
The problem you experienced clearly must be originating somewhere else.