Nginx - Google Summer of Code ideas

Johan Bergström johan at bergstroem.nu
Thu Mar 12 00:36:41 MSK 2009

Hi,

On Mar 10, 2009, at 12:50 , C. wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm organizing some google summer of code ideas for our organization
> and
> nginx could play a very interesting and key role in one of them.  So
> two quick questions.
>
> 1) Would anyone be willing to mentor a student?
> 2) What are some other ideas that we could possibly add to the list to
> make it exciting?

Here's two ideas/suggestions from my wish list:

1: Nginx should keepalive connections against proxied backends
This could/should apply to all kinds of backends ranging from http to
FastCGI. While digging into backend unification, why not enable
memcached as a "standard" backend instead of a third party module (of
course compile-time option)? I recall seeing proof of concepts on this
at this mailing list.

2: Nginx proxy store should be purge:able
The most fundamental action for a proper proxy cache. One could dig
deeper into this and enable more advanced rules for invalidation by
looking at ncache or other proxy servers such as varnish. I'm not
suggesting Nginx to act as a "full fledged" proxy - only cover the
basic needs.