New wiki

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:53:05 MSK 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

hah! great minds think alike!

Don't get me wrong. I -want- an active and thriving nginx forum. But
if guys like you and Igor only use the mailing list we're losing a
huge amount of mindshare about nginx if we can't tap your brains from
the forums. So integration to me is something I would like to see.

It all comes down to threaded discussions really. I like forums
because of threaded discussions, which essentially gmail does
already... perhaps Jim/Cliff/myself can try to figure out a list of
benefits offline as to why a person's mail client is not good enough
for this.

> As of now forum notifications is broken at least in following ways:
>
> 1. SHOOTING prefix in subject.
>
> 2. No valid References header, so no correct threading in mail
> agents.

this is a big one

> 3. No valid From header thus making impossible to understand
> who is message author without looking into message body.

this too.

> 4. No understanding of people posting to forum that this is in
> fact post to mailing list and quoting rules should be significally
> different from forum ones.
>
> IMHO, either it the above should be fixed (and mailing list
> integration done at least as good as that on ruby-forum,
> effectively converting forum to yet another mailing list web
> interface) or any integration with mailing list should be switched
> off.

exactly.