Odd cache behavior

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Tue Oct 6 17:46:21 MSD 2009

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 03:56:46PM +0400, Igor Sysoev wrote:

>>> I saw the similar pattern, when nginx is restarted (not reHUPed) at the cliff
>>> growing start point: then cache loader loads many old inactive cache items
>>> and sets close inactivity timers for the items.  Therefore cache size grows
>>> lineary and at some time all these inactive items are purged almost
>>> simultaneously causing precipitous drop.
>>>
>>> Have you restarted nginx at the growing start points ?
>
> This may be not a restart, but an online upgrade too.

I had error log level set for "crit" so I can't be sure. The binary was
built on September 29 @ 12:39 which was after the the climb started but
it's possible there was a restart earlier. I generally don't restart
except when upgrading or rebooting but it is possible.

I will set error logging to "notice" and upgrade the binary today and
watch what happens.

--
Jim Ohlstein