nginx + ssi + remote uri access does not work

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Apr 14 12:38:58 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:34:45PM -0400, stunti wrote:

> I have a setup where my nginx is in front with apache+PHP
> behind.
>
> My PHP application cache some page in memcache which are
> accessed by nginx directly except some dynamic part which are
> build using SSI in Nginx.
>
> The first problem I had was nginx didnt try to use memcache for
> ssi URI.
>
> <!--# include virtual="/myuser" -->

What do you mean by "didnt try to use memcache"?

> So I figured that if I force it to use a full URL, it would do
> it.
>
> <!--# include virtual="http://www.example.com/myuser" -->

No, it wouldn't.  SSI only supports URI local to server in
question (i.e. path only).  If you need to include some external
URL you have to configure appropriate proxy_pass.  E.g.

    <!--#include virtual="/example-com-myuser" -->

and in nginx.conf:

    location = /example-com-myuser {
        proxy_pass http://www.example.com/myuser;