nginx compression-at-edge (in front of a reverse proxy) compresses some content, not other ?

Igor Sysoev igor at sysoev.ru
Wed Apr 28 23:42:48 MSD 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:29:29PM -0700, Ben DJ wrote:

> > I did not understand what that parallel CDN does and what problem you
> > have encountered.
>
> A good description is here, http://drupal.org/project/parallel
>
> Basically, serving various content types in parallel from Varnish
> in-memory caches, in particular when memcache(d) is not an option due
> to low RAM constraints (on a VPS ...).
>
> The performance boost -- admittedly under the right concurrent loads
> -- can be dramatic.

I understand the idea, but do not see any issues with nginx.
Probably you need something like this:

   server {
       server_name  example.com
                    cdn1.example.com
                    cdn2.example.com
                    cdn3.example.com
                    ;

       location / {
           proxy_pass             http://backend;

       location ~ \.(js|css|gif|jpe?g|png)$ {
           proxy_pass             http://backend;
           proxy_cache            CACHE;
       }

The files http://cdn1.example.com/some.js and http://cdn2.example.com/some.js
will be stored in nginx cache as single file with key
http://backend/some.js.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/