IMAP Proxy?

rainer at ultra-secure.de rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Aug 31 19:19:11 MSD 2010

>   On 31/08/2010 15:24, rainer at ultra-secure.de wrote:
>>>    Can nginx be used as a proxy for IMAP, so that multiple users can
>>> connect to nginx but the proxied server only sees one connection? If
>>> so,
>>> how would this be configured?
>>>
>>> Background: We have 20 users who all need access to read/move emails in
>>> a single IMAP mailbox, however our current hosting company is limiting
>>> our connections to one "user" per IP, or around 10 connections (since
>>> most mail clients open multiple connections to the server).
>>
>> IMAP is not designed to handle that, AFAIK.
>> It's a ...not-so-great... idea to begin with.
>> Why do 20 users have to fuzz around a single mailbox?
>
> Customer receive an automated email and respond manually. Our staff need
> to be able to review those emails and act accordingly. Was working fine
> with a smaller team, but we've recently increased the staff due to
> response volumes.

Get a ticketing system.
Like RT3 from bestpractical.com
Totally off-topic, I know - but IMHO, nginx is really the wrong tool for
what you are trying to achieve.
IMAP-proxies are usually used in situations where the client is a
webserver...
I know you want an "easy" solution for your problem - but RT3 is really as
close as you can get.

Rainer