Compiling only a module

merlin corey merlincorey at dc949.org
Wed Jan 13 03:18:56 MSK 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Peter Leonov <gojpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12.01.2010, at 16:12, Dennis J. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to develop a module for nginx and I'm wondering how I can compile just a module by itself. I check out this page:
>> http://www.evanmiller.org/nginx-modules-guide.html#compiling
>> but it basically says that you have to compile nginx completely to compile the module. This seems rather cumbersome, is there a way around this?
> Nginx modules a all compiled in. There is no mechanism to build and load a shared library.
> Fortunately, the makefile is properly configured to recompile only changed stuff. To fine tune dependencies within your module, try NGX_ADDON_DEPS.
>
> Other way is to write you own custom makefile in your module dir. But it may be a complicated thing due to cross platform nature of nginx.
>
> Peter.

I don't think it makes *any* sense to compile an nginx module by
itself.  If you want to just check the syntax simply running gcc on it
should more or less suffice, but it won't do anything without NginX
and NginX doesn't dynamically (THANK $DIETY) load modules so building
it without building NginX is pretty much pointless.

Next! :-)

-- Merlin