Can't activate gzip to work accurate in Safari/Chrome

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jun 9 01:05:49 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 02:27:17PM -0500, Ryan Malayter wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Igor Sysoev <igor at sysoev.ru> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 02:04:04PM -0400, bongtv wrote:
> >
> >> I used the developer tools built in in the browsers. If there is a compression made you will see this in the ressources pane of the developer tools. In the example above you see that the browser loads the full file. We made a transition from apache to nginx and we found this out because useres wrote us about longer loading times.
> >
> > Safari/Chrome developer tools do not show correct size information.
> > Try to look sizes in access_log.
>
> Or use Fiddler if you're testing Windows browsers (www.fiddler2.com).
> It acts as a debugging proxy, and shows you the entire conversation,
> with lots of useful tools. I find it better than Firebug for tracking
> down HTTP-layer issues, because as a proxy it supports any browser, or
> even web services clients. It can also act as a "man in the middle" on
> SSL connections too (with certificate warnings of course).

Using Fiddler is not really an option when you are debugging http
protocol (even on Windows where it only works).  It's http proxy,
and this changes things a lot - browsers use another code pathes,
Fiddler itself handles hop-by-hop headers and so on.

In simple cases it will work (including this one), but please keep
in mind it's not perfect (and can't be).