Nginx startup scripts

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 18:15:26 MSD 2010

I'm considering nginx as an upgrade from Apache, on a virtual server
with many virtual hosts. I have no nginx experience (yet!)

I know that there are many reasons why nginx is likely better than
Apache in my environment, but on the other hand "if it isn't broken,
don't fix it". However, there is one aspect that I consider broken, so
if nginx handles things differently that could be the reason to switch.

With Apache, if the config file has an error in it, Apache will error
and stop. The config test doesn't catch all possible errors (eg I had a
situation where an SSL certificate was updated without the SSL key, and
the config test showed no problems, but a config reload took the server
offline for several minutes while the problem was resolved).

How robust is nginx?

To me, it seems simple: there should be startup scripts that start the
server, and roll-back to a known-good config if the current config
fails. But whatever the method, I'm looking for a server which has
considered this and found a solution to it.

Note: I am looking to use a distro package (to make maintenance easy) so
I'm not really looking for custom scripts, although that's not being
ruled out. Distro will likely be Ubuntu server.

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG