[ANNOUNCE] ngx_echo v0.29: major core refactoring and more robust sequential subrequests

Matthieu Tourne matthieu.tourne at gmail.com
Fri May 7 20:40:29 MSD 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM, agentzh <agentzh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Matthieu Tourne
> <matthieu.tourne at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The new version of the echo module looks great, and it's a very good
> source
> > of inspiration for writing my own module.
>
> Glad to hear that :)
>
> > I think that would be amazing if the echo module could be used to "pipe"
> > echo directives to an upstream, in order to create completely custom
> queries
> > for example, instead of echoing data back to the user.
>
> This is a very intriguing idea and I can see the benefits of debugging
> custom TCP upstream modules :)
>
> Just to confirm my understanding, I'd ask first...are you suggesting a
> telnet module for nginx upstreams? *grin*
>
> > Do you think that would be feasible ?
>
> Given the flexibility of the nginx core, I'd say "yes" :)
>
> To be honest, I happen to be thinking about mudding with the
> ngx_http_upstream infrastructure a bit more these days ;)
>
> Cheers,
> -agentzh

Yes, I guess that could be done with a telnet upstream module,
then I could just do something like :

echo_subrequest /telnet_upstream -b "GET / HTTP/1.0\n ..." to completely
craft queries.

That could also be useful to me, for example to let an untouched query go
through,
using something like :

echo_read_request_body;
echo_subrequest $echo_request_method '/telnet_upstream' -b
$echo_client_request_headers$echo_request_body;

--
Matthieu Tourne