Best way to cache static files

Guzman Braso guzman.braso at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 20:37:00 MSD 2010

Hi,

One idea...

With nginx proxy_cache you can use "proxy_cache_use_stale" to tell it to
return the last known copy of a cached file on given backend errors.
If you do that for 404 error for css_*.css & js_*.js, it means that cached
users will no longer be redirected to non existent css, instead they will be

Read more here:
http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpProxyModule#proxy_cache_use_stale

Best regards from Montevideo,

Guzmán

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM, brianmercer <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:

> What is the preferred way to cache static files these days? (i.e.
> ccs/js)
>
> 1. Recompile with slowfs module

2. Serve css/js through php backend and use fastcgi_cache
> 3. Create additional nginx localhost server and proxy_cache from nginx
> backend
>
> Drupal6 has a nasty habit of recreating its aggregated css and js files
> (i.e. css_[md5hash].css) on module updates, etc.  Which means cached
> dynamic pages end up pointing to non-existent files.  An nginx cache
> could protect against that problem, but I'm not sure of the best way to
> do it.
>
> Posted at Nginx Forum:
> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,140660,140660#msg-140660

Guzmán Brasó Núñez