Nginx 1.0 + IPv6 kills server when accessed over IPv6

Igor Sysoev igor at
Mon Apr 18 22:26:21 MSD 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 05:26:25PM +0000, Egill R. Erlendsson | Grapewire wrote:
> I just upgraded from 0.8.54 to 1.0 (I've also tried various versions of
> 0.9.x experiencing the same issue).
> Running 2.6.35-28-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP on a 64bit Ubuntu 10.10
> As soon as I try to open a connection to an ipv6 enabled site via ipv6 - the
> server just hangs instantly, requiring a hard reboot (nothing is dumped to
> any logs).
> Since the server is located in another country I've only managed to grab a
> screenshot of the KVM:
> This does not happen when using 0.8.54 (or any other 0.8.x version I've used
> before).
> Not sure if this is an Nginx issue, kernel issue, hardware issue, but I
> thought this would be the best place to start.
> Has anyone else experienced something similar?

This is certainly a kernel issue, because userland application
should not be able to kill the kernel. It's strange that panic occurs in
ipv6 connect() becuase nginx can do only ipv4 connect().

Igor Sysoev