auth_request, HTTP 401 and missing header WWW-Authenticate

Pavel Kolla pavelkolla at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:09:07 MSK 2011

Hello

I've got an issue more challenging than i can come up with an answer for -

I am trying to use nginx to power authentication & validation of some client-
server business web application. Using ngx_postgress for DB connectivity it
seems possible and i have following config functional on logic level: http://
dpaste.com/hold/374783/

The issue I am puzzled with is most likely relevant to auth_request and
presents itself in missing "WWW-Authenticate" header in 401 response returned
to client  in order to initiate authentication challenge. Not only auth_request
does not send this header to clientside, it is also not possible to use
add_header directive to manually insert it (also auth_request is ignoring if
statements in same context block next to it, so it does not seem feasible to
trap only the situation when client failed to pass cridentials with
"Authenticate:" header even if add_header would be possible)

This is another illustration of same issue:

 $ curl -I  http://pkolla:88/t1/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/0.8.54