Disable / ignore / redirect URLs with query strings to reduce blog spam

TinyApps.Org miles at tinyapps.org
Fri Jul 8 13:17:13 MSD 2011

Hello all,

Is it possible to disable / ignore / redirect all URLs
with any query string? My site doesn't use query strings,
and is suffering from blog spam links as described by
these folks:

How do I remove spam from my blog's Google Blog Search results?

Google has the wrong (somewhat vulgar) URL for my site!

URL/Query String Spam - Poor Man's Referer Spam?

This Apache .htaccess example < http://briancray.com/2010/03/18/htaccess-hack-remove-url-query-strings/ >
removes all query strings like so:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !=""
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /$1? [R=301,L]

Can something similar be done in nginx? Also, might it be
better to simply return a 204 (or some other status code)
to reduce server load?