"buffers" RAM use under Linux while running nginx

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Mon Jun 27 09:46:39 MSD 2011

Hi all,

I have a couple of web servers running nginx 1.0.4 on Ubuntu 10.04
AMD64, serving several hundred GB of static images. Each machine has 4GB
of RAM, but less than 1GB is used by the Linux page cache, because
there's more than 2GB assigned to "buffers". Here's the output from the
"free" on one of them:

Mem:     4057484    4024404      33080          0    2421352     947772
-/+ buffers/cache:   655280    3402204
Swap:    3998712          0    3998712

 From what I understand, "buffers" includes the TCP send buffers for
each outgoing connection, and might include read buffers for each file
that's in transit, but I'm surprised that it's adding up to 2.4GB.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there any way I can reduce those buffers
to get more cache RAM, or should I just throw more RAM in these machines?

Thanks
Leigh