Trying to figure if nginx can be used

robert mena robert.mena at
Fri Mar 11 22:16:28 MSK 2011

I've googled trying to find out the answers to my questions and a few
remained unanswered / inconclusive.

I plan to replace my apache server with nginx.  I currently use:

a) mod_deflate to compress the pages
b) mod_expires to add expires headers to certain images
c) mod_rewrite to, well, rewrite the requests to a bootstrap index.php (Zend
d) support php
e) support for SSL
f) support for name based virtual hosts

I've found that nginx has built-in support for compression, support for
virtual servers (name based), SSL and can host php scripts.  But:
a) does it support similar configuration like the one below?

<Directory "/var/www/html">
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|zip|exe|mp3)$ no-gzip dont-vary
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

b) Are there any known limitations or disadvantages on hosting PHP with