Nginx fails to accept new connection if active worker crashes

Andrew Alexeev andrew at
Tue Nov 15 09:15:50 UTC 2011

On Nov 15, 2011, at 11:32 AM, faskiri.devel wrote:

> Hi All
> I use nginx configured with multiple workers. I also have an nginx
> module that crashed due to an error when I noticed that the module crash
> leaves nginx in a state where it cannot accept new calls.
> Removing my module and killing the "active" worker (the one which seems
> to take the new request) with a SIGHUP again caused nginx to hang.
> Killing the other worker(s) seem to be working just fine.
> Further investigations(with nginx at debug level) showed that all
> threads are fine but none of the workers are getting the
> ngx_accept_mutex_lock.
> Master tries to release the ngx_accept_mutex_lock if the dead process
> was holding it [
> but doesnt look like the value is set anywhere.
> I have been using nginx only for a couple of months now so I am not very
> sure of the diagnosis, please feel free to correct.

Thanks for spotting this one. It's kind of a known issue and we're working on a fix currently. In the meanwhile you can switch accept mutex off as a workaround (the only downside could potentially be in minor increase of CPU utilization).