Config variable inheritance: docs and rules

Jonathan Matthews contact at
Tue Apr 3 17:07:13 UTC 2012

On 3 April 2012 16:52, Francis Daly <francis at> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 02:13:57PM +0100, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Hi there,
>> seems to contain some
>> information I've not found explicitly stated anywhere else: that
>> config variable inheritance is an all or nothing mechanism. Have I
>> missed some docs somewhere?
> That thread refers to configuration directives, not variables.
> The difference might not matter, but for clarity it's worth making sure
> that we all understand the same thing.

You're absolutely correct; I'm referring to config directives, but was
thinking too hard about the question to notice I'd mixed my
terminologies. I'll correct it, and resend the email in a new thread
for list archive niceness. It'd be great if you could cherry pick the
stuff you feel is relevant from your reply and resend it. If only for
those who come after ... :-)

Jonathan Matthews
London, Oxford, UK