Custom error pages

Bai Shen baishen.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 20:13:08 UTC 2012

My conf looks like this.

server {
   listen 192.168.1.1:80;
   server_name example.com;

  error_page 503 /maint/503.html;

  location /maint/503.html {
    internal;
  }

  location /maint/ {
    root /etc/nginx/html;
  }

server {
  listen 192.168.1.1:80;
  server_name example.com;

  location / {
    proxy_pass http://192.168.1.2;

To show the 503 page instead of my site, I uncomment the top server block.
When I want to bring the site back, I comment the top block out.  The
/maint/ location was what I changed to get the css and images to work.
However, I'm not sure that it's the best solution.  Also, I'm assuming that
there's a better way to show/hide the 503 page than commenting out the
whole server block.