Purge files from proxy_cache

mlmarius nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Apr 13 07:38:01 UTC 2012

Hi, i've set a proxy cache for my app ( app is allso served by nginx ).
My problem is that i would like to have my app control the cache a
little bit so i have hooks that delete files whith keys matching certain
paths when some events in the app take place. This also works ok but the
problem is that during stress testing if i remove a file from the nginx
cache i get a lot of php-fpm processes stampeeding to generate that file
in the cache.

I would like to mention that i am using proxy_cache_use_stale updating
in order to prevent stampeeding when nginx needs to rebuild cached pages
that have expired naturally but that won't help when i remove them from
the cache myself.

Question is ... how can i make certain pages expire when the application
decides they need to be refreshed ? or ... how can i safely delete them
and not have a php riot ?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,225281,225281#msg-225281