Per user webdav access to their home directories ?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Apr 23 13:52:18 UTC 2012

On 23/04/2012 08:50, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to know if the following is possible with NGINX :
>
> Setup a PERSONAL webdav access to our users, that is giving
> access to their unix home directories thru a secure webdav.
>
> If I understand well the main problem is the httpd process
> has to switch to the user's identity after authentication ( LDAP )
> to let him have RW access to his workspace.
>
> Is it possible with the nginx beast ?
> If yes, links to documentation would be welcome !
>
> Thank you

Another option seems to be to run a webdav client via some kind of CGI.
There is a PHP library which gets plenty of recommendations.  I'm going
to be investigating the Mojolicious webdav library because it looks easy
to extend and integrate into my environment (depends if you have the
capability to do some development).  There is also a promising looking
Perl DAV implementation

I also came across a dav implementation testing tool.  Don't have the
name at my fingertips, but it seems like a rather good idea to run it
against your proposed implementation to at least baseline the kinds of
issues you can look forward to later.

If you want to use nginx then I think it works ok if you collect
together the various patches and apply permissions via nginx permission
levels.  Not tried though as I decided the authentication wasn't likely
to be flexible enough for my needs (probably the fastest option though?)

Good luck

Ed W