Per user webdav access to their home directories ?

Frank Bonnet f.bonnet at
Mon Apr 23 14:31:45 UTC 2012

On 04/23/2012 03:52 PM, Ed W wrote:
> On 23/04/2012 08:50, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>> Hello
>> I would like to know if the following is possible with NGINX :
>> Setup a PERSONAL webdav access to our users, that is giving
>> access to their unix home directories thru a secure webdav.
>> If I understand well the main problem is the httpd process
>> has to switch to the user's identity after authentication ( LDAP )
>> to let him have RW access to his workspace.
>> Is it possible with the nginx beast ?
>> If yes, links to documentation would be welcome !
>> Thank you
> Another option seems to be to run a webdav client via some kind of
> CGI.  There is a PHP library which gets plenty of recommendations.
> I'm going to be investigating the Mojolicious webdav library because
> it looks easy to extend and integrate into my environment (depends if
> you have the capability to do some development).  There is also a
> promising looking Perl DAV implementation
> I also came across a dav implementation testing tool.  Don't have the
> name at my fingertips, but it seems like a rather good idea to run it
> against your proposed implementation to at least baseline the kinds of
> issues you can look forward to later.
> If you want to use nginx then I think it works ok if you collect
> together the various patches and apply permissions via nginx
> permission levels.  Not tried though as I decided the authentication
> wasn't likely to be flexible enough for my needs (probably the fastest
> option though?)
> Good luck
> Ed W

I'm affraid not being a developper only an admin :-)
I was asking in case of such function do exists ...

I really think it would be a great help for our users
but I am unable to write it ...

anyway thanks for your answer/explains !