Inconsistent latency to sub_status

dbanks nginx-forum at
Sat Apr 28 02:05:09 UTC 2012

I found the issue -- this server handles a mix of SSL and regular
traffic.  When initially configuring SSL, I used a 4096-bit CSR and did
not manage cypher selection carefully.  As a result, nginx workers spent
a lot of time in OpenSSL, calls unable to service other requests.  The
ratio of SSL to regular traffic made the ping latency erratic.

The fix was straightforward:  use a smaller CSR and select
server-preferred cyphers that were less computationally intensive.