Nginx won't start after adding scgi to config

Chris White kratzyyy at
Mon Aug 13 14:58:33 UTC 2012

I'm trying to set up rutorrent, and their wiki tells me to add this to my
server block:

location /RPC2 {
    include scgi_params;
    scgi_pass unix:/tmp/rpc.sock;

After I do that and restart nginx, I get this error:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/nginx start
Starting nginx: nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "scgi_pass" in
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

As far as I know the SCGI module has been built in by default since 0.8.42.
I'm running 1.1.19 which I've verified with nginx -v.

Here's my entire server block:

Note that everything runs fine if I remove the /RPC2 location block.