Nginx won't start after adding scgi to config

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Mon Aug 13 15:32:12 UTC 2012

On 13 August 2012 15:58, Chris White <kratzyyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up rutorrent, and their wiki tells me to add this to my
> server block:
>
> location /RPC2 {
>     include scgi_params;
>     scgi_pass unix:/tmp/rpc.sock;
> }
>
> After I do that and restart nginx, I get this error:
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/nginx start
> Starting nginx: nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "scgi_pass" in
> /etc/nginx/conf.d/localhost.conf:24
> nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
>
> As far as I know the SCGI module has been built in by default since 0.8.42.
> I'm running 1.1.19 which I've verified with nginx -v.

Having verified what you say about the module (whilst I don't use it
myself) here's a non-nginx-config/compile-y idea:

I suggest you make /absolutely/ sure that the binary in your (root?)
path that gets hit with "nginx -v" is the same one you end up running
via the init script.  As in, explicitly trace it through the script
and the filesystem to ensure you're not hitting an older binary for
some reason.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews