How to log virtual server name

Lucian D. Kafka luci at
Tue Feb 28 02:27:58 UTC 2012

Thank you for that Francis.

Using your testing battery with different curl headers I was able to narrow down the issue.

Basically nginx logs correctly any virtual host name under the sun (specified or not under the server_name) - except one. This is exactly the same one it complains as having a conflict on startup.

If I take out this one server name of the server_name directive (ie. this name is not mentioned in any nginx config files), the complaining about conflict stops, but logging for this one host does not work - ie $host (and all other variants) are empty.

-----Original Message-----
From: nginx-bounces at [mailto:nginx-bounces at] On Behalf Of Francis Daly
Sent: Tuesday, 28 February 2012 10:36 AM
To: nginx at
Subject: Re: How to log virtual server name

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:49:38PM +0000, Lucian D. Kafka wrote:

Hi there,

> The _problem_ is that Nginx does not behave as the documentation describes. Entering multiple server names in one server_name directive and using $http_host do not work.

The following "http" section of nginx.conf allows me to see content from two different directories, depending on the Host: header in the request; and includes the hostname used in the Host: header in the access_log file.

It behaves for me as the documentation describes.

What is the difference between this and the configuration file you are using?

http {
    log_format mine '$host $remote_addr - "$request" $status';
    access_log logs/mine.log mine;
    server {
        server_name one two;
        listen       8000;
        root one;
    server {
        server_name three;
        listen       8000 default_server;
        root three;

If I use $http_host instead of $host, I see whatever the client sent -- including the :port part.

Testing using commands like

  curl -i http://localhost:8000/
  curl -i -H 'Host: one' http://localhost:8000/
  curl -i -H 'Host: two:66' http://localhost:8000/
  curl -i -H 'Host: three' http://localhost:8000/

shows me the content and the log lines that I expect, as above.

So: I'm unable to reproduce the problem you report, using a configuration that seems to match your text. Can you provide a (minimal?) config file that shows the problem for you?

Francis Daly        francis at

nginx mailing list
nginx at