Limit Available Methods

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Mar 1 11:02:00 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 05:18:48AM -0500, kamalakarv wrote:

> Want to limit OPTIONS and TRACE  method from nginx server
>
>  Referred following post( section #11)
>  Disable certain HTTP methods at global level, below article will help
> us to restrict at server block level
>   *
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-unix-bsd-nginx-webserver-security.html
>
>  We want to disable at global level because our configuration consist of
> so many server blocks

The TRACE method is always rejected with 405 since nginx 0.5.17.

To disable other methods like OPTIONS (which currently isn't
handled by nginx, but may be proxy_pass'ed somewhere else) you
have to use either rewrite checks like in the article above or the
"limit_expect" directive (http://nginx.org/r/limit_except).  This
isn't possible at global level, though you may use the "include"
directive (http://nginx.org/r/include) to include common
configuration block into all servers.