MP4 pseudostreaming - seek delay

dagr nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Mar 5 06:53:00 UTC 2012

Hi

I configured streaming with ngx_http_mp4_module .
I use optimized mp4 with moov atoms located at the beginning of the
file.
Streaming really works,  BUT.
In comparison with flv its takes much more time to seek through movie.

For example i want to move to position - 00:05:00, it takes about half
second or even 2 secs  to finish.
When i used flv - it was instant, also seeking mp4 videos on youtube is
instant too.

I noticed that player shows downloading status during this delay , so i
checked tcpdump and found out, that
nginx sends moov atom  to player  EVERY time.  Moov data is about 300KB,
so only after downloading it , player starts getting real video.

I understand why player needs MOOV data, when send first GET without
"start" parameter.

But i really dont understand why it needs same MOOV data later, when
sends request like GET /file.mp4?start=300

Can you clear out these issue for me?
May be i misconfigured something ?

nginx-1.0.12

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,223375,223375#msg-223375