Multiple Upstream Servers Result in Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS)

mevans336 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Mar 7 12:20:11 UTC 2012

Cliff Wells Wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 02:06 PM, Francis Daly wrote:
> > My guess is that "first contact" information is
> not shared between the
> > two jboss servers, so if serial requests from a
> single client don't
> > always go to the same server, bad things happen.
> You should be able to
> > see whether or not that is the case. With only
> one jboss server
> > configured, all requests must go to it, and
> things should work, as you
> > reported. All the best, f
>
> Since the ip_hash worked, your assessment seems
> spot on.  However, one
> thing that's still not making sense to me: in his
> reply, Matt states
> that he tested with the HTTPS redirect disabled in
> JBoss and still had
> the same issue.  I'm a bit unsure of how that
> could be (unless it was
> still in effect, or the browser remembered the
> redirect).
>
> Regards,
> Cliff

Cliff,

Thank you and Francis for your quick and detailed responses.

Even though the HTTPS redirect was disabled, the application itself
still sends a redirect to /home. For example, if you type in
http://my.domain.com you were successfully redirected to
https://my.domain.com/home. That initial redirect was happening and that
is where the error 310 would occur, at the https://my.domain.com/home
level.

I see that Francis is in agreement with you that the proxy_pass
directive is being negated by the permanent rewrite. Just for my
edification, would you (or anyone else who would like to take a stab at
it) mind confirming that if I remove the proxy_pass directive, I will
still be able to achieve load balancing between the two upstream
servers? If you could explain how load balancing works without that
directive so I have a clearer understanding, I'd be even happier! I have
searched the wiki and my Nginx book, but I'm either missing it, or this
specific scenario is not addressed.

Cheers,

Matt

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,223535,223576#msg-223576