Multiple Upstream Servers Result in Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS)

Cliff Wells cliff at
Wed Mar 7 12:52:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 07:20 -0500, mevans336 wrote:

> Even though the HTTPS redirect was disabled, the application itself
> still sends a redirect to /home. For example, if you type in
> you were successfully redirected to
> That initial redirect was happening and that
> is where the error 310 would occur, at the
> level.

Okay, I must have missed the redirect to /home.

> I see that Francis is in agreement with you that the proxy_pass
> directive is being negated by the permanent rewrite. Just for my
> edification, would you (or anyone else who would like to take a stab at
> it) mind confirming that if I remove the proxy_pass directive, I will
> still be able to achieve load balancing between the two upstream
> servers? If you could explain how load balancing works without that
> directive so I have a clearer understanding, I'd be even happier! I have
> searched the wiki and my Nginx book, but I'm either missing it, or this
> specific scenario is not addressed.

Because you are also doing proxy_pass in the https section.  So the flow
goes like this:

1. request visits http section and is redirected to https section
2. https section sends request via proxy_pass to load-balanced JBoss

So you should remove the proxy_pass from the first (HTTP) server block,
but leave the proxy_pass that exists in the second (HTTPS) server block.