Collapsing Empty Variables in Nginx Access Log When Using TAB Delimiter

adamchal nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Mar 7 22:14:19 UTC 2012

OK, I just knocked-out 50 push-ups as a punishment for this.  There's
absolutely nothing wrong with the logging module.  Apparently, the Mac
OS X Term was messing this up while I was copying and pasting into
Textmate.  I ran the logs through `cut` as well as a custom line parser
and it's working perfectly fine.  I apologize for the confusion, but
trust me that I actually blew a day and a half wrestling with this
before I figured-out that it was an issue with the copying and pasting
from Term.

On another note, it would be cool if we could set a default character
for NULL/empty variables.  For example, instead of the '-' character, I
would prefer just an empty char to be written since I'm doing a TSV
format.  This way, I wouldn't have to preprocess the logs and strip-out
the '-' when importing to a DB store, etc.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,223532,223609#msg-223609