Disable default error_log?

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Fri May 11 23:06:14 UTC 2012

On 10 May 2012 09:07, Johan Brinch <brinchj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems something in nginx has changed: I can no longer run it in
> isolation as a user. Even if I disable or move all log files to a
> place the user has control over, nginx will still try to open
> "/var/log/nginx/error.log". Is this path hard-coded, or is it possible
> to change it?
>
> This the output I get when trying to run nginx with a custom configuration file:
>
> $ nginx -g 'error_log /dev/null crit;' -q -c mynginx.conf
> nginx: [alert] could not open error log file: open()
> "/var/log/nginx/error.log" failed (13: Permission denied)

http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxMainModule#error_log seems to suggest that
you'll have this problem since 0.7.53. Does that fit in with the
timeline of your "something [...] has changed", above?

If so, "known issue".

If not, something else may have changed - perhaps the order in which
the -g/-c parameters are examined (a complete guess, of course) - and
you should continue shouting about it :-)

Jonathan Matthews
Oxford, London, UK
http://www.jpluscplusm.com/contact.html