Can NGinx replace Varnish

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Nov 14 18:32:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:31:28AM -0500, gt420hp wrote:

Hi there,

> we are seeing mulitple
> examples of cacheing issues. (Pages not displaying correctly ...style
> issues, data input staying cached and used on another page, etc).
>
> We think we can just replace the Varnish server and use a NGinx server.  I
> don't want to necessarily remove all the apache servers, but we have to get
> this cacheing issue corrected....

If the caching issues are because your backend servers are configured
incorrectly, merely replacing Varnish with nginx is unlikely to fix
everything.

If they are because your Varnish is configured incorrectly, then
replacing an incorrectly-configured Varnish with a correctly-configured
nginx probably will help. But replacing it with a correctly-configured
Varnish would probably also help.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org