Nginx answers too large requests with bad status

Francis Daly francis at
Tue Oct 30 00:12:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 07:43:27PM -0400, B.R. wrote:

Hi there,

> When submitting too large requests, Nginx replies a page containing the
> right code status but serves the errors page with a HTTP/0.9 (!) 200 answer.

No, it doesn't.

Look at the "curl -i" output.

Your browser is making up the 200 status.

It is right about the HTTP/0.9 response, though, because nginx couldn't
see that the request was HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1. And therefore it "knows"
that it was HTTP/0.9.

See the thread including,228425,228431
for more details.

I think that nginx is not wrong in this case. But I also think that it
wouldn't be wrong if this HTTP/0.9 response had two paragraphs, and began
with the characters "HTTP/1.1 414".

I imagine that if someone provided a justification with a patch, it
would be considered like any other suggested patch.

Francis Daly        francis at