Redirect 404 errors to a separate log file

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Sep 3 08:48:31 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 04:31:17AM -0400, kustodian wrote:

> I have been trying for a whole day to figure out how to redirect 404 errors
> to a separate log file. I managed to do this in the server directive:
>
> error_page  404 = @404;
> location @404 {
>         error_log  /var/log/nginx/404.log;
> }
>
> This does write all 404 errors to 404.log, but the problem is that it also
> writes these errors in the default error.log, and I don't want that. I want
> 404 errors to be writtent to only into the 404.log.
>
> Do you have an idea how to do this?

Errors to error_log are logged once they happen, so you can't
configure separate error_log to log specific errors (in contrast
to access_log).

However you may control whether to log "not found" errors or not -
there is configuration directive "log_not_found" for this, see
http://nginx.org/r/log_not_found.