Issue with my proxy configuration

Jörg Kastning joerg.kastning at synaxon.de
Mon Apr 22 13:17:32 UTC 2013

Hello.

In our lan I can reach my webapplication with an url like http://
<servername>:8081/AppName. I try to configure nginx to forward requests
from wan site to this server. All firewall policies needed are configured
and the dns entry for access from wan are set and reachable.

I tried the following configuration in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:

server {
                listen 80;
                server_name host.domainname.de;
                rewrite ^ https://$server_name$request_uri? permanent;
        }
        server {
                listen 443;
                server_name host.domainname.de;

                ssl on;
                ssl_certificate domainname.de.pem;
                ssl_certificate_key domainname.de.key;

                ssl_session_timeout 5m;

                ssl_protocols SSLv3 TLSv1;
                ssl_ciphers
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv3:+EXP;
                ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
                location / {
                        proxy_pass http://<ip-address>:8081/AppName;

With this configuration the webapplication ist available when I use the url
http://host.domainname.de/AppName. But I want to access the webapp with the
url http://host.domainname.de.
Is this possible?

Regards,