Is HTTP 1.1 chuncked file encoding on upstream fastcgi servers working for nginx 1.2.4 ?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Feb 7 12:04:09 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 03:31:02AM -0800, SirNoSkill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding nginx-fastcgi.
>
> I use nginx 1.2.4 from here:
> sudo -s
> nginx=stable # use nginx=development for latest development version
> add-apt-repository ppa:nginx/$nginx
> apt-get update
> apt-get install nginx
>

> It seems to have something todo with HTTP 1.1's chunked transfer
> encoding via the fastcgi-mono-server4.
> So my question to the nginx people:
> Does this version of nginx (1.2.4) support HTTP 1.1 + chunked transfer
> encoding, and that also for the fastcgi-upstream servers ?

It's bad idea to use "Transfer-Encoding" while working via CGI and
derived protocols like FastCGI.  Quote from RFC 3875,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3875#section-6.3.4:

   The script MUST NOT return any header fields that relate to
   client-side communication issues and could affect the server's
   ability to send the response to the client.

As you are talking to nginx via FastCGI, not HTTP, it won't try to
dig into content returned and decode it according to any
Transfer-Encoding.  Instead, the "Transfer-Encoding" header
returned will be just dropped by nginx as per RFC 3875.

http://nginx.com/support.html